«

»

Oct 20 2011

All About Harrow Apollo Male Choir

The Choir was formed in 1941 at the de-Havilland Aircraft Factory in Stag Lane, Edgware and was originally known as the ‘de-Havilland Male Voice Choir’. Throughout the subsequent decades, the Choir changed its name to the Beverly Singers, Apollo Male Voice Choir and more recently to the Harrow Apollo Male Choir to signify the strong links with the Borough of Harrow. The Choir recruits from all over North West London and performs to audiences in London, South East England and overseas.

Based at the Harrow Arts Centre, Hatch End, Middlesex, the Choir is non-denominational and currently has over 40 singing members. The common bond is the desire to sing for enjoyment, give pleasure through singing to others and to raise funds for charity. The Choir has long established itself for its quality of sound and its broad musical repertoire.

Throughout its history, the Choir has sung at venues as diverse as the Royal Albert Hall, Cologne Cathedral, Arsenal Football Ground and Wormwood Scrubs Prison! About 12-15 concerts are given each year mostly in England although the Choir has also performed in Germany, Ireland, USA (1998), Belgium (2002), Normandy (2005), Scotland (2008) and Jersey (2010).

The Choir is frequently engaged to perform at weddings, corporate events and massed male voice choir events.

The Choir has and continues to raise substantial funds for national and local charities including the Paul Strickland Scanner Appeal, Teenage Cancer Trust, SSAFA Forces Help and the RAF Benevolent Fund.

You can read more about the choir on their website, here.

(Visited 30 times, 1 visits today)