By now, you’ll have read in the local press that Harrow’s libraries are moving towards a self-service model, with electronics ‘check outs’ to reduce costs.
In recent weeks, special tags have been added to every item of stock (books, DVDs, CDs, etc), with the next stage of the project being the installation of self-service kiosks into all of the libraries. Unlike kiosks at supermarkets, they do not make comments about ‘unexpected items in the bagging area’ as they are much more user-friendly, and will be able to process cash and card payments.
Installing this new technology in libraries will mean that each library will have to close for around 1 week. Whilst a library is closed, all other Harrow libraries remain open to drop items off and no items will be due for return to the closed library. Dates of closure will be publicised at least four weeks before a library closes.
- North Harrow Library: 15.06.11- 22.06.11
- Civic Centre Library: 29.06.11- 06.07.11
- Wealdstone Library: 13.07.11- 20.07.11
- Rayners Lane Library: 27.07.11- 03.08.11
- Kenton Library: 10.08.11- 17.08.11
- Hatch End Library: 24.08.11- 31.08.11
We’ll keep you updated as and when we hear more.