We’re pleased to announce that iharrow.com is running a photo-based campaign to raise awareness of the dangers that parking outside schools on yellow zig-zags endangers children. You can see our photos of Selfish Parkers here.
Whether it’s a lack of awareness or traffic legislation or laziness, we don’t know. We’d be the first to agree that parking around schools is always going to be a problem: but that doesn’t make it okay to endanger children entering or leaving the school. However it’s just plain selfish.
With police and council resources stretched to breaking point, the only option left is to name and shame those drivers who do this.
How can you help?
- You can email your local councillor, asking them to see if the council’s CCTV vehicle can attend on a regular basis. You can find your councillors’ contact details here.
- You can email your local Police Safer Neighbourhood Team, asking them to attend on a regular basis. You can find your local Police SNT contact details here.
- You can send a photo of the offending vehicle to us at iharrow.com, telling us the date/time/location you took it, showing the vehicle’s registration number and yellow zig-zags, and confirming that the no-stopping regulations are in force at the time you took it.
- Tell your local school and ask them to remind parents that they mustn’t stop or park on yellow zig-zags whilst operational. Ask the school Governing Body to respond to this issue (you can contact the Chair of the Governing Body via the School’s office).
- Spread the word: tell your friends, neighbours.
- Write to the local press and call radio stations.
- Ask for an article to be published in your local residents or tenants’ association newsletters.